Friday, January 18, 2008

Lena's Spaghetti

Lena's Spaghetti - This is my Mom's VERY FIRST SPAGHETTI RECIPE EVER!!
Thank You Lena!
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion chopped
2 cups of mushrooms
1/2 green pepper chopped
1 can tomato soup
1 can mushroom soup
1 can tomato paste
1 soup can of water
salt, pepper to taste
3 T. Oregano
3 T. garlic powder
1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
Brown ground beef, onions, green peppers, then add mushrooms. Add seasoning, soup, tomato paste and water. Simmer.
Today's spaghetti sauce everything is pretty much the same without the soup, but I do use Classico Tomato and Basil Sauce. I also use a lot of fresh basil when I have it and garlic cloves (usually about 3-4 chopped when browning the meat). Most of the time I add some red or white wine (about 3/4 cup), whatever is available. When cooking with any kind of tomato sauce, etc. I always add at least one packet of Splenda. Not sure where I learned this tip, but it works in all tomato dishes. Another good way to fix this is using turkey Italian sausage either the hot or sweet. When using the hot, you can leave out the Tabasco.
Serve over noodles. When cooking noodles, I always add about a teaspoon of olive oil to the water.
I have started using the multi-grain pasta. When you use this, it takes a little longer to cook.

No comments: